Vegan Deep Fried Sushi
Mon, 20 September 2021
- Servings 2 Servings
- Time 30 Minutes
- Difficulty Beginner
- 700gr Steamed Rice
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Large Nori Sheets
- 1 Large Kyuri
- 9 Slices of Pickled Bell Pepper
- 2 Large Blocks of Tofu, Sliced into Long Cubes
- 1 Cup Panko
- 1/2 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- Another 1/2 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup of Non-Dairy Milk of Choice
- 300gr Shiitake Mushroom (Sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- ¼ Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup of Water
- ? Cup of Maizena (or Rice Flour)
- 2 Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Vegan Mayo
- ¼ Cup Sriracha Sauce / Any Hot Sauce
- First and foremost, Make sure the steamed rice is at room temperature before proceeding. To make the sushi rice, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt until well-dissolved. Then mix and knead onto the rice.
- Let’s make fried tofu! Combine Non-Dairy Milk and flour, and prepare panko and plain flour in another bowl.
- Preheat your oil into 170o C. Dip the tofu into the plain flour, then the flour-milk combination, and panko lastly. Then deep fry briefly until golden brown.
- Set your fried tofu aside to cool.
- Let’s make some roasted shiitake mushrooms. Thinly slice the mushroom and sautée using a bit of oil, season it with soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Take the mushrooms out once it browns and let it cool.
- Let’s assemble the sushi! Take out the nori sheet and spread the sushi rice.
- First goes the shiitake mushroom, followed with cucumber (kyuri), fried tofu, and pickled bell pepper.
- Roll the sushi tightly and seal the end of the nori with water.
- And now let’s prepare the deep frying batter. In a container mix in water with flour with some salt and seasoning.
- Dip in the sushi into the batter.
- Deep fry the sushi in the preheated oil until lightly golden brown.
- Take the sushi out and salt it! Then let it cool for 10 Minutes before Cutting.
- Cut the sushi according to preferred portionings.
- For the dipping sauce, mix in sriracha, mayo, and lemon juice (optional) and ready to serve!
- You can serve it with soy sauce or the spicy mayo. Enjoy!