The Best Vegan Caramel Popcorn
Wed, 22 September 2021
- Servings 4 Servings
- Time 25 Minutes
- Difficulty Beginner
- 40gr ‘Mushroom’ Corn Kernels
- 15-20ml Coconut Oil
- 30gr Roasted Cashew
- 30gr Sugar
- 15ml Water
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 20gr Vegan Butter
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda / Bicarbonate of Soda
- Some Sea Salt to Taste
- In a wide saucepan, heat up coconut oil until it reaches smoke point. Then add in the kernels and reduce the heat to low. Close the lid and let it pop!
- Gradually shake the sauce pan to make sure the unpopped kernels stay below.
- When no kernels are popping, take it off the heat and open the lid to release the steam.
- Now, let’s make the caramel by heat up the sugar and water in a wide pan (for easier mixing once the popcorns are incorporated).
- Never stir caramel! Let it sit on medium heat. When some spots beginning to darken, then you can stir to make sure an even caramel.
- Now the sugar is now dark and caramelized (150-160o ), add in vegan butter, vanilla, then stir!
- Add in bicarbonate soda, stir, and quickly add in roasted cashew along with the popcorn.
- Mix the popcorn until well coated.
- Lastly, add coarse sea salt to taste!
- Store the popcorn in an airtight container. Serve this popcorn to accompany your lockdown!