Vegan Pempek Kapal Selam
Tue, 07 September 2021
- Servings 12 Servings
- Time 45 Minutes
- Difficulty Beginner
- 200gr High Protein Flour
- 200gr Tapioca Flour
- 7 Cloves Garlic
- 30gr Bamboo Shoots
- 1½ Tbsp Seaweed Powder
- 1 Tsp Kala Namuk / Black Salt
- 1 Tbsp Mushroom Stock Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp White Pepper Powder
Vegan Yolk Ingredients:
- 1/3 Cup Cooked Kabocha Squash (Labu Jepang)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 5-6 Tbsp Potato Starch (Adjustable)
- 1/2 Tsp Kala Namuk / Black Salt
- 2 Tsp White Pepper Powder
Cuko Sauce Ingredients:
- 750ml Water
- 14 Cloves Garlic
- 12 Bird’s Eye Chilies
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 3 Tbsp Kecap Manis
- 350gr Palm Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Firstly let’s make vegan egg yolks! sieve the cooked squash into purée, then in a bowl combine all of the other mentioned ingredients into a thick paste.
- Reserve the mixture for later use.
- And now let’s make the pempek dough. In a food processor, combine bamboo shoots, seaweed powder, black salt, and garlic. Blitz them until smooth then add in the flours and the remaining ingredients, then continue blitzing them just until well-combined.
- let’s make the cuko sauce. Blend garlic, chili, tamarind paste, and salt into paste.
- Then heat up sauce pan with a little oil to sautée.
- Cook the seasoning paste until fragrant then add in water and all the remaining ingredients. Continue simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Strain the cuko from the seasoning pulps.
- Now it’s time to mould the pempek dough. Take a half-handful of the dough.
- Cover your hand with oil to help this process. Take spoonful of the ‘yolk’ and pour right in the center of the dough.
- Try to shape the pempek into the desired shape as shown in our video!
- Prepare boiling water and boil the pempek. Once they’ve float up wait for another 2-3 minutes just to make sure it’s cooked thoroughly.
- Then take the pempek out and let it cool for about 15 minutes (in this process, the pempek slightly cooks as the heat still remains) before proceeding for deep frying!
- Prepare oil for deep frying with medium to low heat.
- Once the pempek is cooled down, it’s time to deep fry them for 1-2 minutes long until golden brown.
- Let the pempek cool for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now it’s time to serve with the cuko sauce and some cucumber cubes, Enjoy !